Adyen hit the headlines recently after eBay announced it’s now switching to the payment gateway provider. eBay joins other big-name brands that currently use the service, including Microsoft, Spotify, Uber, and Pinterest. Such multinationals are no doubt attracted to Adyen because of its end-to-end solution: it functions as both a payment gateway and a merchant account.
As you can see from our features overview below, Adyen pricing model isn’t particularly easy to understand. Transaction and processing fees differ depending on the region or country and the payment or credit card type.
However, in its defense, the complexity is down to Adyen’s focus on helping merchants acquire international and local customers by reducing fees for country-specific payment methods rather than offering blanket pricing. For example, its Dynamic Currency Conversion functionality allows merchants to offer pricing in local currencies at the point of sale.
Its MarketPay is a great feature for multi-vendor marketplace owners giving the ability to split payments across multiple sub-merchants as well as schedule payments and transfer funds.
- Cost per transaction: Dependent on region and card type. Payment method fee: 3.95%-10%
- + processing fee (0.12¢)
- Monthly fee/contract: No (but a required monthly minimum invoice of $120.00)
- Recurring billing: Yes
- Chargeback: $7.50*
- Refund: No charge but transaction fees not returned
- Countries available: Information unavailable
- Invoicing: Yes
- Support: Email, 24/7 phone
- PCI compliant: Yes
- Customizations: Changes can be made to the payment form, credit card fields, and language translations. Adyen provides the code required but you might need a developer’s help if coding is an issue.
*Information gathered from a third party. Adyen doesn’t currently list the chargeback fee publicly.
Adyen’s all-in-one product with a focus on removing friction for local buyers and its dedicated marketplace features make it an attractive option for multi-vendor marketplace owners. However, its pricing complexity might frustrate smaller sellers who don’t have the time or resources to dig into the details.